When compared to acoustic pianos, digital pianos includes a lot of features that make them a great investment. For instance, digital pianos are light and therefore easy to transport. Also, they include USB ports, built-in recorders, option to listen to the sound via headphones, among others.
However, does this mean that these features come at an added cost? In most cases, yes. Still, this doesn’t mean that you can’t locate an affordable digital piano that will let you get started in your music career. Below, we have reviewed the best digital pianos under $500. Read on and get an idea of the affordable pianos on the market and the features to consider before making your choice.
1. Yamaha P45 88-Key Weighted Digital Piano Home Bundle with Wooden Furniture Stand and Bench
Taking the lead in this review is the Yamaha P45 88-Key Weighted Digital Piano. The piano features a GHS action which is heavier in the low end and lighter on the high end. Further, it features a 64-note polyphony that lets you perform moderately dense piano passages with a few or no dropped notes. The advanced wave memory Stereo Sampling helps to recreate natural instrument sounds to enhance better performance.
- USB to HOST port lets you connect and interact with a range of music creation or entertainment application on a mobile phone or computer.
- Piano set includes a PKBB1 bench, L85 furniture stand, and a Sustain pedal.
2. Alesis Recital | 88-Key Beginner Digital Piano with Full-Size Semi-Weighted Keys
The ultimate beginner’s digital piano is the Alesis Recital 88-Key Beginner Digital Piano. Whether you are learning piano or in need of a gift for a beginner, you can be sure that this piano will be up to any challenge. Loaded with five expertly-crafted voices and powerful educational features, the keyboard lets you learn fast and play like a pro within a short time. Also, it includes 88 premium full-sized semi-weighted keys that feature a touch response designed to suit your preferred playing style. The piano includes a range of connectivities including a Sustain pedal input, power adapter, stereo headphone output, and stereo RCA outputs.
- Built-in 20W speakers deliver a room-filling sound.
- Important educational features include lesson modes with 182-note max polyphony.
- Stereo RCA outputs let you connect a recorder, sound systems, mixer, or amplifier.
- Stereo headphone output for private practice.
3. Yamaha P71 88-Key Weighted Action Digital Piano with Sustain Pedal and Power Supply (Amazon-Exclusive)
The perfect digital piano for use at home is the Yamaha P71 88-Key Weighted Action Digital Piano. Whether you are looking for the best digital piano under $500 for creating, rehearsing, or learning this is a perfect choice to a quality playing experience. The 88 fully weighted piano-style keys mimic the feel of an acoustic piano allowing you to benefit from the best playing experience. Also, there is a dual mode that allows you to combine two voices such strings and piano for inspiring playing experience. The piano doesn’t require a lot of space, thanks to its slim design with a depth of less than 12″.
- The piano weighs 25lbs to enhance portability.
- Ten different voices include digitally sampled tones so that you can benefit from a professional-like playing experience.
- The piano includes a Sustain pedal and power adapter.
4. Alesis Recital 88-Key Beginner Digital Piano with Full-Size Semi-Weighted Keys and Power Supply
The easiest way to learn piano lies of obtaining the Alesis Recital 88-Key Beginner Digital Piano. The piano features a heavy-duty double-X metal construction to enhance durability and stability. It allows for three-position height adjustment since it features a quick release mechanism that lets you adjust the height from 4″ to 38″. The piano comes with a padded seat to provide hours of comfortable playing.
- Eighty-eight full-sized semi-weighted keys let you adopt your preferred playing style.
- Built-in speakers enhance better sound reproduction.
- Classic-style Sustain pedal enhances compatibility with different electronic keyboards.
5. LAGRIMA 88 Weighted-Key Digital Piano, USB/MIDI/Headphone/Mic/Audio
The perfect digital piano whether it is for use by adults, kids, teens, beginners, or equipping a training institution is the LAGRIMA 88 Weighted-Key Digital Piano. Equipped with 88 fully weighted hammer action keys which are lighter in the high end and heavier in the low end, you can expect the piano to simulate the feel of an acoustic piano and deliver a high-quality playing experience. Adding to that, the piano provides for various functions including record, metronome, play, touch, volume control, split, and transpose so that you can customize it according to your needs. You can connect the piano to a range of educational, music entertainment, or different applications on Android devices or computers via the USB/MIDI terminal. Also, the piano connects to an external speaker so that it can provide more playing fun.
- Built-in stereo speakers enhance better sound production.
- 3.5mm headphone jack allows you to connect headphones to avoid disturbing others while playing.
- Three Pedal systems include Sustain, Soft, and Sostenuto Pedal.
- LCD screen enhances ease of use.
6. Yamaha P71 Digital Piano (Amazon Exclusive) Deluxe Bundle with Furniture Stand and Benh
Another one from Yahama is the P71 Digital Piano. Equipped with 88 weighted action keys, the piano allows you to use it in such a way that it can suit your preferred playing style. It comes with a Sustain Pedal and power supply to enhance convenience for you. Also, there is a furniture stand and bench to guarantee the best value for your money.
- Adjustable padded keyboard bench helps to provide hours of comfortable piano playing experience.
- Yamaha L85 Keyboard Stand eliminates the need for getting a piano stand separately.
7. Korg 88-Key Digital Pianos – Home SP170SBK2
As one of the best digital pianos under 500 dollars, the Korg features a natural weighted hammer action that mimics the touch of an acoustic piano. It includes a total of ten sounds including organs, electric pianos, strings, harpsichord, among others. The piano features streamlined controls which make it easy for you to set the volume and choose the desired sound.
- Two headphone jacks allow for private practice.
- Three levels of touch control allow you to match the keyboard response to different playing styles.
- The enhanced speaker system features two oval speakers to guarantee better sound generation.
8. Alesis Recital Pro | Digital Piano / Keyboard with 88 Hammer Action Keys
Play piano like a pro once you get the Alesis Recital Pro Digital Piano. Featuring 12-expertly crafted voices and educational features, the keyboard is the ultimate place to start if you are looking for the best beginner digital piano. Adding to that, the Alesis Recital Pro includes 88 full-sized hammer action keys. The keys feature an adjustable touch response enabling you to customize the sound to suit your preferred playing style. The piano contains different connection ports to enhance convenience for different users.
- ¼” stereo outputs allow you to connect an external speaker.
- Built-in 20W speakers enhance better sound reproduction.
- ¼” stereo headphone output allows you to connect headphones for private practice.
9. Yamaha P45 88 Key Digital Stage Piano
Are you a piano student looking forward to purchasing the best beginner digital piano under $500? Well, you might want to consider the Yamaha P45. The piano features a 64-note polyphony that allows you to perform moderately dense piano passages. What more, it features a GHS weighted action. The Weighted action features a lighter touch in the high end and a higher touch in the low end, enabling it to mimic the hammers in an acoustic piano. The Yamaha P45 includes an advanced wave memory Stereo Sampling designed to recreate natural instrument sound in the stereo.
- USB to HOST port provides for connections and interactions with different entertainment applications in mobile phones or computers.
- A dual mode allows you to combine two voices for inspiring playing experience.
10. Alesis Recital Pro 88-Key Digital Piano with Padded Seat, Stand and Sustain Pedal
From Alesis is the Recital Pro 88-Key Digital Piano. The piano includes a classic-style Sustain Pedal which makes it compatible with different electronic keyboards. Further, it includes 88 premium full-sized hammer-action keys featuring an adjustable touch response so that you can create a sound designed to suit your preferred style. The 12 built-in premium voices can split or layer two voices at the same time which allows you to create customized sounds with little effort.
- Padded seat guarantees hours of comfortable playing.
- Heavy-duty double-X steel construction ensures stability and durability.
- Quick-release mechanism allows you to adjust the stand’s height from 4″ to 38″.
Tips for choosing the best digital piano
The fact that you opted to get a digital piano probably means that you want to benefit from versatility and even get creative in your performances. In this regard, go fo a piano that offers a range of connections including MIDI and USB. MIDI ports provide you with the ability to connect to computers and recording equipment while USB ports allow for connections to USB-compatible gear.
Polyphony refers to the combination of two or more independent melodic lines. If you want to play richer and complex passages, opt for a piano that offers a greater number of Polyphony. This way, you can choose between two options with varied polyphony notes to ensure the best quality of the music played.
learning toolsAre you looking for the best digital piano for beginners? Well, you must get one that incorporates teaching and learning tools. These tools comprise metronomes, built-in lessons, note/chord displays, exercises, among others. Other pianos also include dual headphones jacks so that the teacher and learner can work together silently while others include split keyboards which allow the teacher and student to play similar parts in the same octaves.
Although digital pianos are lighter than acoustic pianos, different models of digital pianos feature different sizes and weights. If you are planning to be carrying your digital piano daily, (be it for performances or classes), you will want to ensure that the model is lightweight and compact to enhance portability.
5. Recording capacity
If you are planning to create your own song, this is a feature you might want to consider. A digital piano that offers you with the capacity to record lets you have an easy time updating the recordings to enhance convenience. Further, the ability to record is a great feature for people learning to play the piano since it allows the user to review the progress.
If you are an aspiring musician, you can buy the best digital piano under $500 and allow it to help you get started with your music career. So, ensure that you digest the features to look for when buying a digital piano so that you can locate one that will perfectly meet your needs.