Kayaking is considered to be one of the most exciting water sports for outdoor enthusiasts. You can get a kayak for fishing or navigating water bodies so that you can refresh your mind from daily busy schedules. So, if you are on the market for the best kayak, chances are that you want to get a budget-friendly kayak that doesn’t sacrifice strength and performance for the price.
To help you locate such a kayak, below is a review of the best kayaks under $500. Have a look and use the provided guide so that you can select a kayak that is designed to match your wants.
1. Sea Eagle SE370 Inflatable Sport Kayak Pro Package
Cruise at the lake or race down the river with the Sea Eagle SE370 Inflatable Sports Kayak. Designed to hold up to 650lbs user weight capacity, the kayak allows for three people to use it at a time, but you can still opt to use it alone. The kayak features an extra-thick 38mm Polykrylar hull which is tough enough to withstand dog claws and paws.
Because of this, you can carry your dog along for when sporting. Besides that, it includes two molded skegs to assist with tracking and better speed control. The kayak is suitable for use in the river, thanks to its ability to handle up to class III whitewater.
- Lightweight design at only 26 lbs.
- Foldable design enables the kayak to pack down and fit in the included carry bag with convenient shoulder strap.
- I-beam floor construction guarantees extra rigidity.
- Removable inflatable front and rear seats let you customize the available space.
2. SUNDOLPHIN Sun Dolphin Journey 10-Foot Sit-on-top Fishing Kayak
Taking the second position is Sundolphin’s fishing kayak which is an excellent choice for use in the lakes and rivers. The kayak features a lightweight design, and retractable carrying handles to enhance portability. Also, it features two flush mount rod holders and a swivel fishing rod holder to enhance convenience when fishing.
The P.A.C. (Portable Accessory Carrier) is another plus of the kayak which provides you extra storage. The kayak is comfortable to use, thanks to the adjustable padded seat, adjustable foot braces, and the protective thigh pads.
- Open cockpit guarantees easy entry.
- Storage compartments.
- Water bottle holder.
- UV-stabilized Fortiflex High-Density Polyethylene enhances strength.
3. Lifetime 10 Foot, Two Person Tandem Sit-on Kayak with Padded Backrests
As one of the best kayaks under $500, the Lifetime Sit-on Kayak is a perfect choice for anyone in need of a kayak designed for use by different people. The kayak features multiple footrest positions making it suitable for different-sized riders. Also, it features a hull design which great tracking and offering stability. The kayak supports a maximum user capacity of 500pounds but features a lightweight design at only 60lbs.
- Spacious design accommodates up to three people.
- Shock cord straps secure loose items.
4. SUNDOLPHIN Sun Dolphin Aruba 10-Foot Sit-in Kayak
Are you a water enthusiast looking for a reliable kayak? Well, you have the Sundolphin sit-in kayak for your taking. Crafted using rugged UV-stabilized Fortiflex high-density Polyethylene, the kayak is a perfect choice for one that is designed to deliver reliable performance for years.
Besides that, the kayak includes a Gear storage compartment that includes a shock cord deck rigging. This design allows you to locate the perfect spot to stash your gear and even secure the loose items to enhance security.
- Large open cockpit for easy entry.
- Adjustable padded seat features high Back support to enhance comfort.
- Adjustable foot braces make it suitable for use with people with different foot sizes.
- Carrying handles enhance portability.
- Water bottle holder
5. Sevylor Big Basin 3-Person Kayak
The Sevylor 3-Person Kayak take the fifth position in our review. Crafted using a heavy-duty PVC, you can rely on the kayak for years of reliable performance. In addition, the kayak features a Tarpaulin bottom. This design protects it from punctures to guarantee low long-term maintenance costs.
The kayak can accommodate up to three people where it includes adjustable seats so that you can personalize them to suit your comfort levels. It includes spray covers designed to block splashes so that you can be sure to have it keep you dry. The kayak measures 12′ 3″ x 3’1″ while inflated and holds up to 490lbs.
- The airtight system protects against leakage.
- Double threaded Boston valve enhances easy inflation and deflation.
- Multiple air chambers enable one chamber to remain inflated in case of a puncture.
6. Driftsun Voyager 2 Person Tandem Inflatable Kayak
Take a friend, son, daughter, brother, or girlfriend to the next fishing experience with Driftsun Voyager 2-Person Tandem Inflatable Kayak. The kayak includes high-quality EVA padded seats designed to deliver high-back support for a comfortable cruising experience. It features a Rocker profile and pointed nose entry which is designed to provide excellent performance in both calm and choppy water.
The kayak is designed to last, thanks to the heavy-duty PVC Tarpaulin bottom that offers protection from punctures. More to that, it is designed to let you carry it with a lot of ease due to the lightweight 27lbs weight and its ability to fold down to a compact 26”(L) x 16”(W) x 8”(H) size.
The kayak comes with a carry bag further making it easy to carry. Besides the carry bag, it comes with two adjustable EVA padded seats, a deluxe double-action hand pump, two aluminum paddles with ergonomic grip handles, and a rear tracking fin.
- Double threaded Boston valves enhance easy inflation and deflation.
- Drain plug for easy water draining and cleaning.
- Tough 840D coated nylon oxford fabric enhances strength.
- Removable deep fin delivers responsive tracking.
7. Intex Excursion Pro Kayak, Professional Series Inflatable Fishing Kayak
Next, we have the Intex Excursion Pro Kayak. If you are on a budget and looking for the best kayak, this might be the right product for you. The kayak is made using super-tough laminate PVC with a polyester core to guarantee durability. Further, it adopts high-pressure inflation designed to offer extra rigidity and stability.
The high-pressure spring-loaded valves are another plus designed to offer easy inflation and fast deflation. Though the kayak features a strong build, it features a lightweight design and a total weight capacity of 400lbs. The Intex Excursion Pro Kayak is suitable for use in deep and shallow waters, thanks to the two removable skews.
- Two floor-mounted footrests enhance comfort.
- Adjustable and removable mounting brackets allow you to add extra accessories such as fish finders, GPS systems, fishing rod holders, among other items.
- Two adjustable bucket seats enhance comfort.
- I-beam floor enhances rigidity.
8. Advanced Elements AdvancedFrame Kayak
The combination of a portable and high-performance kayak under $500 is the Advanced Elements AdvancedFrame Kayak. Featuring a foldable design, the kayak packs into a small baggage space making it easy to carry. In addition to that, it features three layers of materials enabling it to offer extreme puncture resistance.
The kayak includes built-in aluminum ribs that define the stern and bow to improve the tracking ability. Also, it features a high-support adjustable padded seat allowing you to benefit from hours of comfort when paddling.
- The preassembled design makes it easy for you to set it up.
- PVC Tarpaulin Hull material features a Polyester fabric between vinyl layers to enhance strength.
- Multiple air chambers provide optimum safety by ensuring that one chamber is inflated in case the other one bursts.
9. Sea Eagle SE330 Inflatable Sport Kayak Pro Package
Another Sea Eagle Kayak is this inflatable 2-person Kayak. The kayak is designed for use by two people at a time, where it supports a maximum weight of 500lbs. Although the kayak supports 500lbs, it features a lightweight design at only 26lbs making it easy to carry. Adding to that, the kayak deflates and folds down to a compact size enabling it to fit in the included carry bag.
The kayak features two movable deluxe seats designed to deliver improved back support. Besides that, it includes two paddles, a foot pump, and a 5″ high seating.
- Open/close drain valve enhances easy inflation and deflation.
- Two skegs on the bottom enhance better tracking and speed control.
- NMMA certified for safety.
- Suitable for up to Class III whitewater.
- I-beam floor construction guarantees strength.
10. SUNDOLPHIN Sun Dolphin Journey 12-Foot Sit-on-top Fishing Kayak
Are you looking forward to locating those exclusive fishing spots? Well, you should adopt the Sundolphin Fishing Kayak. Featuring a versatile design, the kayak is great for use in the lakes or rivers to enhance the best fishing experience.
It features two flush mount holders and one swivel fishing rod holder enabling you to locate the perfect spot for placing your rods. The kayak features a lightweight design and includes retractable carrying handles making it easy to carry.
- Water bottle holder.
- Large open cockpit enhances ease of entry.
- A storage compartment to store different supplies.
- Protective thigh pads, adjustable foot braces, and adjustable padded seat enhance comfort.
Types of Kayaks
1. Inflatable Kayak
These Kayaks are made using Plastic-coated fabrics. The kayaks can be inflated to make them ready for use in the water and deflated when you want them to fit in a backpack for storage or carrying.
2. Surf Kayaks
These Kayaks are designed for surfing. The units feature a flat bottom, longer board, and a sturdier rocker. The kayaks are best for catching and gliding on waves.
3. Whitewater kayak
This is a kayak designed to roll easily while making minimal contact with the water. The kayak features a rounded bottom, and minimal shines. Also, it features a length of up to 10feet. Since this type of kayak isn’t very maneuverable, it is designed for use in fast-flowing water.
4. Folding kayak
Similar to an inflatable kayak, this type is a great choice for anyone looking for a kayak that is easy to store and carry. The kayak is easy to fold down which makes it the answer to a portable and space-friendly kayak.
5. Touring Kayak
As the name suggests, this kayak is designed for touring. You can use it when exploring the coastlines or calm water. The kayak features a long and narrow design. It includes stable paddles which are designed to increase its effectiveness and speed. The kayak is highly stable and designed to handle different kinds of water.
6. Racing Kayaks
If you are looking for a kayak designed for water sports, then this is the way to go. These type of kayaks feature built-in speed machines making them fast in calm waters. Also, they are made using lightweight materials such as carbon fiber, fiberglass, and Kevlar making them suitable for racing in a straight line in calm water.
The urge for purchasing the best kayak doesn’t mean that you should break the bank so that you can get a kayak that will deliver reliable performance for years. With any of the ten best kayaks under $500 as reviewed above, you can still gain the benefits of a high-quality kayak, the reason I recommend that you buy the reviewed products.