When he was a toddler, my son always wanted to help me cook. but he was too little back then. It was very difficult trying to watch out for him as he helped me prepare our meals. I was also deathly afraid he would burn himself. I wanted to encourage him to learn how to cook, so I went out and got him a play kitchen of his very own from the local big box store. It was one of the best investments I ever made; not only is he able to cook for himself; now he can cook for both of us! Thankfully, there is a much better selection of play kitchens nowadays. For all of the new parents and grandparents out there, I have tried to save you some time finding the best play sets for the children by compiling a list of the best play kitchen sets available right now:
Table of Contents
- 10. Little Tikes Ultimate Cook KitchenIncludes approx. 38 pieces (Made in USA)
- 9. American Plastic Toy Deluxe Custom Kitchen33 inches W x 12 inches D x 38 inches HAvailable in Pink Includes approx. 22 accessory pieces (Made in USA)CHOKING HAZARD, Recommended for ages 3 & up
- 8.) KidKraft Deluxe Big & Bright Kitchen
- 7. Step2 Step 2 LifeStyle Dream KitchenIncludes 37 accessory pieces (Made in China) CHOKING HAZARD, Recommended for ages 3 & Up
- 6. Kidkraft Vintage Kitchen33 inches x 11.7 inches x 35.7 inchesAvailable in Pink ONLY CHOKING HAZARD Recommended for Ages 3 & Up
- 5. KidKraft Grand Gourmet Corner Kitchen4 Metal accessories: 1 pot/1 pan/ 2 spatulas
- 4. Little Tikes Cook N Grow Kitchen28.25 inches W x 20.75 inches D x 23.50 inches H26 accessory pieces (Made in USA)
- 3. Step2 LifeStyle Custom Kitchen II, Available in a combination of Brown/Tan/Green Only20 accessory pieces (Made in USA)
- 2. KidKraft Uptown Espresso KitchenCHOKING HAZARDRecommended for Ages 3 & Up
- 1. Little Tikes Super Chef KitchenCHOKING HAZARDRecommended for Ages 3 & UpRequires 2 AAA batteries (not included)
10. Little Tikes Ultimate Cook KitchenIncludes approx. 38 pieces (Made in USA)
This set has a wide variety of features that allow you and the kids to role-play safely. There is lots of storage space and the easy-open doors make it easy for the little ones to get in and out of the different cabinets, as well as the oven, refrigerator or the microwave. The shelves have been molded into the cabinets and provide great accessory storage. There are pegs set up so you can hang the everyday utensils where they are handy and easy to grab. This set has knobs that click when you turn them on and it also has cooking sounds for the stovetop and water sounds for the sink. There is even a Cappuccino maker on the nice, long countertop so you can have your morning coffee in the breakfast nook this set has. This set also has wicker storage baskets and plenty of play food and cookware is also included.
9. American Plastic Toy Deluxe Custom Kitchen33 inches W x 12 inches D x 38 inches HAvailable in Pink Includes approx. 22 accessory pieces (Made in USA)CHOKING HAZARD, Recommended for ages 3 & up
This custom play kitchen is sturdily built and has really cool burners that light up and make the same bubbling and sizzling sounds as Mom’s & Dad’s stovetop does. Just put the pot or pan you want to use on top of the burner and it starts to sizzle right away. There is also an oven, a refrigerator with its own built-in water dispenser, a microwave and even a dishwasher built into this set. There are also tons of shelves, sliding drawers and the cabinets come with two wicker baskets to help your little one keep the included plastic food items and cookware neatly organized and handy.
8.) KidKraft Deluxe Big & Bright Kitchen
This sturdily built set, which is built with wood for extra durability, is large enough for your child and several friends to get together and create their very own culinary masterpieces. The included appliances: the refrigerator, the freezer, the oven (which has knobs that click when you turn them “On”) and the microwave, all have doors that easily open and close. The doors on the oven and microwave are see-thru so your little chefs can watch while the water “boils”. This set has convenient cabinet storage above and below the sink and it also has a unique removable sink, so it’s easy to clean up after your little cooking prodigies.
7. Step2 Step 2 LifeStyle Dream KitchenIncludes 37 accessory pieces (Made in China) CHOKING HAZARD, Recommended for ages 3 & Up
By far, this is the most realistic play kitchen on the market today. It has faux stainless steel doors, granite-looking countertops and wood accents that make it appear very realistic. The appliances each have keypads and are all electronic, so the kids will love hearing them beep as they “program” them. They include an oven, stovetop, microwave and refrigerator. The front burners automatically make cooking sounds as soon as any of the cookware is placed on top of them. There is even a work area light over the sink and a cordless “phone”; there is also more than enough storage in the seven built-in cupboards and drawers. It is roomy enough for several of your junior chefs to work together creating their culinary delights. There are also dishes, flatware and cookware and a wicker storage basket already included so you don’t have to purchase them separately. Additional plastic food can be purchased through the Step 2 Company.
6. Kidkraft Vintage Kitchen33 inches x 11.7 inches x 35.7 inchesAvailable in Pink ONLY CHOKING HAZARD Recommended for Ages 3 & Up
This durable play kitchen has a refrigerator, microwave, removable sink (so it’s easy to clean), stovetop and oven. The stovetop has clicking knobs that sound just like the grownup’s gas stove when you turn it on. The cabinets have doors that open and close easily and the entire set is built to withstand even rough play. It has interactive features, like the faucet that swings around and handles that turn, which are realistic and will keep your kids delighted for years of play. It even has a cordless phone for them to “call” their friends while they’re cooking.
5. KidKraft Grand Gourmet Corner Kitchen4 Metal accessories: 1 pot/1 pan/ 2 spatulas
This very sturdily built, corner kitchen set comes with a dishwasher, oven (large enough to fit a cookie sheet with a dozen cookies), stovetop, microwave, refrigerator and freezer; all the doors open and close easily. It has a removable sink for quick and easy cleaning. The countertop is nice and roomy even with adding all of the smaller kitchen appliances: a mixer, blender and toaster (that are also included). The stove and oven have nobs that turn and click, so it sounds just like the grownup version. It is also a nice, large play kitchen with enough room for several children to play at once.
4. Little Tikes Cook N Grow Kitchen28.25 inches W x 20.75 inches D x 23.50 inches H26 accessory pieces (Made in USA)
This is a true grow-with play kitchen set that can be adjusted for two different growth stages for children. The first growth stage setting extends the kitchen lengthwise but is low enough and has enough room for several younger children to easily play around in. The second setting makes the unit more compact in length but high enough for the older children while still allowing plenty of room for them to play together. It has a stovetop that has realistic cooking sounds, as well as an oven, refrigerator and microwave. All the appliances and the cabinets have easy open and shut doors. There are also molded hooks and slots for holding cups and plates. The accessories include plastic food items, utensils, cookware, along with cups and dishes, so there is no need to buy them individually. There is also a unique shape sorting lid for the pot and three shape blocks for learning about shapes and colors.
3. Step2 LifeStyle Custom Kitchen II, Available in a combination of Brown/Tan/Green Only20 accessory pieces (Made in USA)
This awesome kitchen set includes a phone, frying pan, boiling pot, salt & pepper shakers, 2 cups, bowls and plates, a silverware set and even a recycle bin. It Includes faux “stainless steel” appliances: an oven, microwave and refrigerator and even has an upscale, granite-look counter top. The cabinets have easy open and close doors, as do the pullout drawers. Both the special frying pan and boiling pot have lids; they electronically activate frying and boiling water sounds when you put them on the stove’s front burner. The set also includes lights, turn-able knobs, a plate rack, storage shelf, sink with faucet, even a framed window and wallpaper border. All of the appliance buttons beep when you push them, so they will keep your kids happy for years of play.
2. KidKraft Uptown Espresso KitchenCHOKING HAZARDRecommended for Ages 3 & Up
This is another great kitchen with a faux granite countertop, and the appliances have easy to open and close doors; these include a refrigerator, freezer (that has its very own chalkboard surface), microwave, oven and dishwasher. The refrigerator even has a water/ice dispenser with room to put a cup in and pretend you are getting ice water. It also has a cordless “phone” for your kids to call you and get Grandma’s brownie recipe. Under the sink, there is a removable cutting board for your kids to use when they are “prepping” their meals. This sturdy play kitchen is roomy enough for several children to play together and has convenient storage areas for all of the accessories.
1. Little Tikes Super Chef KitchenCHOKING HAZARDRecommended for Ages 3 & UpRequires 2 AAA batteries (not included)
his compact kitchen has many modern features that Includes roomy cabinets and appliances that have faux stainless steel accents: a refrigerator, oven, stovetop and microwave. All of the knobs and buttons make clicking or beeping noises and the stovetop actually makes cooking sounds. It even comes with its own coffee pot, as well as the included pots and pans and place settings for two to eat those culinary creations your kids come up with.